Tuesday, March 6, 2012

What's For Dinner



One of my New Year's resolutions every year involves cooking.  I always decide that I'm going to do something different, whether it's bake more (which I'm really not good at), go meat free at least one day, or try new cuisines I want to push myself to get outside of my comfort zone.

This year I decide to make at least one new recipe a week.  For the most part I've been able to stick to my resolution and this week I chose to make stuffed peppers.  I started by looking up a few recipes online and then decided to just come up with my own, so here it is:

3 whole peppers (I used red, orange, and yellow)
1/2 pound garlic and herb sausage
handful of chopped white button mushrooms
chopped red pepper (about 1/2 cup)
about 2 handfuls of baby spinach
pinch of red pepper flakes
1 small can tomato sauce
1 recipe Dressed Up Rice
a few slices white cheddar cheese

I started off by making the Dressed Up Rice.  While this was cooking I sauteed the mushrooms for a few minutes before adding the cut up red pepper and a pinch of red pepper flakes.  Once the mushrooms have browned I add the sausage and brown it.  Then in goes the spinach and cook until wilted.  Combine all of this with your Dressed Up Rice and pour into your peppers (which have been cut in half and hollowed out).  Place peppers in a shallow baking dish and pour the tomato sauce around them and top with cheese.

Cover with foil and bake in a 350 degree oven for 25 minutes.

Enjoy!

Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment